POPPIESWALK Western Front Trail
Saturday, September 16, 2023
POPPIESWALK 85 km
The Western Front Trail 85km starts from Westfront, symbol of peace and war. The ultimate challenge passes the most remarkable sites of the First World War via the Polder plains, IJser Valley, Ypres Salient and Passchendaele Museum. .
Group start at 5:00 am
Individual start between 5.00 & 05.30 am
Starting in the vicinity of the imposing Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing, you pass Ypres Salient, Plugstreets, Messines, the Ypres woods and Bellewaerde Ridge, past the most remarkable sites of the First World War.
Group start at 7:00 am
Individual start between 7.00 & 8.00 am
The imposing Menin Gate, symbol of peace and war, is the starting point of the Western Front Trail 38km. Via the Ypres green belt, Hill60, Hill62 and Bellewaerde Ridge you reach Passchendaele Museum Zonnebeke.
Group start at 7:00 am
Individual start between 7.00 am & 9.00 am
Taste the atmosphere of the Western Front Trail with a local walk in and around Zonnebeke via Tyne Cot Cemetery and Passchendaele Museum.
- Starter package
- Arranged route with km indication
- Ample supply & rest points along the way
- Sanitary facilities along the way
- First aid posts
- Bagdrop for participants 80 & 60km
- Insurance Wandelsport Vlaanderen sports accidents
- 1 free 'Lupulus Triple beertasting' on arrival (upon presentation of ID)
- A remembrance of the Poppieswalk
- A guaranteed smile on your face
- Members of a recognized hiking federation *
- Participation costs 80 km : € 39
- Participation costs 60 km : € 29
- Participation costs 35 km : € 20
- Participation costs 25 km : € 16
- * It concerns members of Wandelsport Vlaanderen vzw, FFBMP , Wandersportverband Ostbelgien, Koninklijke Wandel Bond Nederland
- Non-members *
- Participation costs 85 km : € 59
- Participation costs 60 km : € 49
- Participation costs 35 km : € 40
- Participation costs 25 km : € 36
- * Participation includes one year of membership at Wandelsport Vlaanderen vzw. Membership starts by registration and is valid until 31.12.2023.
- Participants must provide themselves with reflective clothing and / or flashlight.
Pick Up participation package
- Participants who registered will receive an E-ticket with which they can pick up their participation package on September 16th in Zonnebeke
- On September Saterday 16th at the starting location GBS De Zonnebloem at Zonnebeke
Control and supply
Starting times & location
- 80 km free start between 5:00am & 5:30am
- 60 km free start between 6.30 & 8.00am
- 35 km free start between 7.00 & 9.00h
- 25 km free start between 8.00 & 10.00h
All distances start at the Memorial Passchendaele Museum 1917. You have to collect your participation badge at the GBS Zonnebloem, Berten Pilstraat in Zonnebeke
All distances arrive at festival hall Fenix, Leopold III-laan in Ypres. The finish must be reached at the latest on Saturday September 16, 2023 at 23h59
Bus transport (optional)
We bring you from the event site in Ypres (FINISH) to the starting location in Zonnebeke
Bus transport is NOT included in the participation price. If you want to use the bus, you must reserve your place at registration (before 21/08/2023!).
- 80 km : departure bus in Ypres at 4:00 am on Saturday September 16th for start in Zonnebeke between 5:00 am & 5:30 am
Parking options in Ypres
Participants who use the shuttle buses can park for free in Ypres.
Parking options are provided at:
Follow the markings to the parking areas and bus service.